By-Laws of Triangle Youth Hockey of North Carolina
The name of the association is Triangle Youth Hockey of North Carolina (TYH-NC) organized as a tax-exempt (Federal Tax ID# 56-2115330), non-profit corporation under the laws of North Carolina. TYH-NC is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors elected by the active membership.
The office of TYH-NC shall be the residence of the current President. The correspondence address shall be One Dan Kidd Drive, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
TYH-NC uses as its principal skating headquarters the Triangle Sportsplex, an independent facility located at One Dad Kidd Drive, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
TYH-NC is a member association of the Carolina Amateur Hockey Association (a Southeastern District affiliate of USA Hockey) and is a member in good standing of the Carolinas Hockey League.
The mission of TYH-NC is to promote and teach the sport of ice hockey to area youth through education by highly-qualified, certified coaches and USA Hockey-sanctioned competition which emphasizes safety, enjoyment of the game, and development of individual skills, team play and sportsmanship.
Membership in TYH-NC shall be open to all eligible individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion or national origin.
- Active Members: An active member is any person directly engaged in the playing or coaching of hockey for TYH-NC. Parents and legal guardians of properly registered TYH-NC players are also considered active members. Active members have voting rights in both Board elections and referendums. Each registered coach and player is allotted one vote (which can be cast by the coach, player, parent[s] or guardian[s]).
- Associate Members: An associate member is any person interested in the promotion of ice hockey but not directly engaged in such with TYH-NC. Examples may include volunteer timekeepers, scorekeepers, corporate sponsors, Sportsplex staff, etc. Associate members do not receive voting privileges.
- Honorary Members: An honorary member is any person so designated by the Board of Directors and approved by two-thirds of voting members at a regular or special meeting who has demonstrated significant support of TYH-NC’s mission. Honorary members do not receive voting privileges.
No application for membership will be accepted if:
- Fees from a prior year were not paid to TYH-NC or any other youth hockey association from which the youth has transferred
- Prior suspensions are still in effect
- Proof of age within 7 days of request by TYH-NC is not received
- Player does not complete the USA Hockey Waiver of Liability, Consent to Treat and Code of Conduct forms or does not sign the official roster within 7 days of request by TYH-NC.
TYH-NC will accept only as many applicants as the amount of ice time that can be secured from the Triangle Sportsplex can realistically support. Relevant to this limitation of membership are the following:
- USA Hockey rules limit the number of players on any one team to 20.
- Recreational teams are allotted a minimum of one half-ice practice per week and 10 home games during the regular season.
- Travel teams receive a minimum of one full-ice and one half-ice practice per week and 10 home games during the regular season.
In accordance with the North Carolina Non-Profit Corporation Act there shall be an Annual Meeting of TYH-NC’s members. All classes of members are entitled and encouraged to attend any annual meeting or session of the Board of Directors.
- Supervision: The Board of Directors shall have general supervision of the affairs of TYH-NC and is charged with carrying out these By-Laws. TYH-NC By-Laws may be amended by the Board of Directors as required by changes to the Federal Tax Code, Statutes of North Carolina, or to best fit TYH-NC program needs if approved by a 2/3 voting quorum present with a 51% affirmative vote. The President will ensure necessary provision is made for obtaining adequate insurance as protection against public liability claims, criminal wrongdoing by Board members, or other legal action arising from TYH-NC’s activities.
- Elections: Board of Directors Directors shall be elected by secret ballot of the Active Members (one vote per properly registered player or coach) at the Annual Meeting. Active members may cast absentee ballots provided the ballots reach the Clerk of Elections before the meeting at which the live vote is to be taken. Only validated official ballots will be accepted. A Director may be removed from office if he/she does not abide by TYH-NC rules or fails to attend three (3) or more consecutive meetings. Removal requires a 51% affirmative vote by a 2/3 voting quorum in attendance. Replacement of a Board member, due to resignation or removal prior to the end of the elected term requires nomination of an eligible candidate and a 51% affirmative vote by a 2/3 voting quorum in attendance. Directors who have been removed from office or resigned (without just cause) may not be candidates for Board positions in the next election cycle.
- Positions: Board of Directors The Board of Directors consists of the following positions: President, Vice-President/Equipment Manager, Secretary, Treasurer, Hockey Director, and Director of Communication
- President - It shall be the duty of the President to provide overall direction of TYHNC’s activities, to preside at all meetings and to enforce all rules and regulations relating to the organization. The President has the authority to act on behalf of TYHNC in making commitments and decisions in support of TYH-NC’s mission and serves as TYH-NC’s Governor in the MAHL. The President has the power to call all meetings of TYH-NC, appoint all committee chairpersons, serve as an ex officio member of all committees, delegate the routine management of TYH-NC and act as the organization’s official spokesperson.
- Vice President - It shall be the duty of the Vice President to preside at all meetings in the absence of the President and to serve as Equipment Manager (including Jersey ordering)
- Secretary - It shall be the duty of the Secretary to keep the minutes of TYH-NC meetings, provide copies of the minutes to Board members and for general distribution via the TYH-NC website, and to tally all votes taken during the meetings.
- Treasurer - All monies payable to and disbursed from TYH-NC shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer. A detailed hard copy ledger of all transactions with verified balances shall be maintained on a monthly basis. The ledger shall be of such form as to readily assimilate into an acceptable report for preparation of TYH-NC’s annual certified audit and tax return or for examination by the Internal Revenue Service. The Treasurer shall submit a financial report at each meeting of the Board or when called upon by the President to do so. The Treasurer also acts as Registrar for the organization. USA Hockey requires that all teams, players, coaches and affiliated personnel be formally registered with USA Hockey. The Carolinas Hockey League (formerly the MAHL) and Interstate Hockey League have similar team-registration requirements.
- Hockey Director - The Hockey Director is responsible for the overall direction of TYH-NC’s Recreational League program including recruitment of coaches and team parents/managers and scheduling of games, practices and clinics.
- Hockey Director - The Hockey Director is responsible for the overall direction of TYH-NC’s Travel League program including recruitment of coaches and team parents/managers and scheduling of games, practices, tournaments and clinics.
- Director of Communication - The Director of Communication is responsible for the dissemination of TYH-NC information to the members, prospects and other interested parties by utilizing the website (www.leaguelineup.com/tyhnc), regular electronic mail updates, the TYH-NC bulletin board at the Sportsplex, traditional mailings, and other innovative means.
- Membership Director - The role of the Membership Director includes outreach to community, event planning, Sportsplex bulletin board, program/brochure etc; liason to all members.
- Board Meetings: There shall be regular meetings of the Board of Directors, duly announced and not less than quarterly. These meetings are open to TYH-NC members, but said members are not eligible to vote. Time (not more than 1 hour) may be allotted for members to present their issues or concerns. Any issue requiring a vote by membership will be tabled until a general members meeting can be held. Motions can be approved with a 2/3 voting quorum present (or through voting proxy) and with a 51% affirmative vote of those present.
Revenue shall be derived primarily from registration fees collected from the membership. A payment schedule for season fees will be established and approved by the Board of Directors before the start of each season. Members who do not comply with the payment schedule will be assessed a $25.00 service charge for each month of nonadherence. Such service charges will be allocated to a general scholarship fund for disbursement to offset fees of players experiencing financial hardship. Any player who has not paid in full (or made a specific arrangement for payment acceptable to the Board) by December 31 of the current season will be prohibited from participating in subsequent TYH-NC activities (see VI. SUSPENSIONS below).
TYH-NC may receive gifts and contributions and may raise and use funds in any manner compatible with its status as a tax-exempt organization and as a donee for tax deductible gifts. Gifts may not be accepted if conditioned upon any action which would prejudice such status.
Fundraiser activities may be conducted individually by teams or collectively by the entire TYH-NC organization. Individual team fundraising activities must be approved by the Board of Directors before the campaign can begin.
- AWARDS AND GIFTS
The President may make awards and gifts to persons who have distinguished themselves either by outstanding participation in TYH-NC’s programs or by outstanding support of TYH-NC’s mission.
The Board of Directors of TYH-NC establishes rules pertaining to personal conduct and timely payment of season registration and jersey fees. Failure to abide by these rules will be grounds for suspension from league activities without refund of fees paid to date.
Upon dissolution (whether voluntary or involuntary), the assets of TYH-NC, after all debts have been satisfied, shall be distributed in a manner consistent with Article 14 of Chapter 55A of the North Carolina General statutes, as determined in the sole discretion of the Board of Directors.